Thursday 6 January 2011

A New Year Welcome WIP

Hello again all. I hope everyone had a lovely, restful Christmas and that you are enjoying a refreshing start to the new year.

Appliqued blocks using bondaweb

I've been sewing for a few years now, but only by hand until 2009 when I got my sewing machine. I even pieced and quilted an entire lap quilt by hand over the course of a year - I promise to show you that one day.

I still feel as though I am getting used to the machine, and learning to think like a machine sewist rather than transferring hand-sewing techniques. So it seems a rather fitting time of year to have started my newest WIP - the Welcome Quilt from Quilt Yourself Gorgeous by Mandy Shaw.

I especially liked the idea behind this opening project in the book, a sampler quilt which aims to teach you lots of techniques. A perfect start to a new year!

Mandy Shaw suggests using a bundle of Fat Eighths. I was impatient to start so I raided the scrap drawer instead:

The Scraps!

I completed the central panel today. In this small piece - a little more than a foot square - I have done traditional patchwork piecing, folded flying geese, prairie points, curved appliqué using sew-in interfacing and foundation piecing. The hearts above are from another part of the sampler which uses fusible webbing. I'm now foundation piecing a row of pieced flying geese.

Foundation Piecing

Phew! That's a lot of techniques, and there are more to come - Pinwheel and Bow Tie Blocks among them!

This is like a crash course in piecing techniques. I'm struggling a little to line up my foundation piecing fabric perfectly, but I'm not stressing too much - it will come in time. I wasn't too sure about the dotty blue fabric as the background at first but now it's all together it looks like the school is in the middle of a snowstorm, don't you think?

Central Panel

How cute? :)



No comments:

Post a Comment